Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Course Reflection 05

On the first day of presentations 6 groups presented their products. The idea was to create a home good for Coleman and target specific users, while also designing the product, the packaging, and the display kiosk. Group 2 introduced the HotTop which is a collapsible grill with a refrigerator underneath. I thought their product was cool because they tried to incorporate Coleman outdoor products into a home good design. I did however think that there kiosk design was kind of confusing. I wasn't sure what the purpose of the side shelving was. Group 3 came up with the idea of a revolutionary desk. I was very impressed by the group's product, packaging, and kiosk sketches. It added a different perspective since our was done completely on the computer. Group 5 presented an idea on a twin bed under a canopy that has drawers underneath. I wasn't sure how big the packaging was expected to be however, since the bottom wood part was quite large. Also I thought that they could have done more with the packaging, instead of just a suitcase looking thing. They had good ideas but the did not address the client nearly enough. I think that is one of the most important things. If the clients needs are not addressed and they don't see anything that directly benefits them, they are not even going to sponsor the product for sale. Group 6 introduced a hammock that turned into a table. I like how their kiosk idea was half indoor and half outdoor. That way when long term Coleman users so the kiosk they have an easy transition into the home good section of Coleman. I also thought that their packaging was really interesting and unique. Group 7 presented the idea of collapsible bowls. When they first introduced the product I immediately thought that the product already existed and could not get that out of the back of my mind. Also I thought they could have added something to the display kiosk to make their product stand out and grab attention, it was a little too simple. Group 8 presented the idea of EcoStat, which is an app for smartphones, itouch, and ipads. It is used to show how much energy savings they have accumulated. I thought that their graphics were really well done and it looked like they spent a lot of time of them. I also liked their kiosk because it reminded me of a revised Apple Store, very simple and sleek. Group 9 created a white board lamp that they named Elements. It had magnetic shelves that are detachable from the lamp. I liked their packaging idea with the sleeve so that the box is reusable. I felt like their kiosk really didn't add anything to enhance their product however. The Nature Treadmill was created by group 10. I thought that the idea was really unique and interesting. They had a very clear explanation of the product and why the user/client would be interested in the treadmill. I think that they spent a little too much time on the Wii product instead of promoting the treadmill. The Jacks designed Ustemsils which are detachable utensils. They used the fold-able cutting board that is also used for packaging. I thought this was a unique way to incorporate reusable materials. The Queens designed The Green Light. I was kind of confused about what the product actually was. They didn't have many pictures or sketches of their product. I think that would have helped instead of having a PowerPoint full of text. I really liked the idea that the Kings had for their Coleman for the Home product. They called it the Space Saving Cooktop and Table. I thought they did an amazing job showing their graphics and explaining exactly how the product would work in a way that people who do not know much about science could understand. It was a good idea that it is easily fold-able and that it does not need to be plugged in to receive power. The final group was the Aces. The did a product called the Deluminator. It was essentially an expandable rod that can be used to take a light bulb out or screw it back into place. The top it also detachable and it comes with a paint roller accessory. I think I have seen a product like this before but it was cool how they made it so that accessories could be taken on and off and used for different tasks. Overall, I really enjoyed hearing about all of the groups ideas. I always find it interesting the vast range of creativity that comes from different groups of people. I think I learned a lot by hearing everyone talk about their designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment