Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Journal 10: Final Thoughts on the Course

I enjoyed Design 200 even more than I had initially anticipated. I have never taken a class that is based solely on participation, group work, and reflection. Instead of cramming for exams I actually was required to look at what I had learned or worked on and analyze it. I felt like I not only learned how to become a constructive critic of others work but also of my own. This is a very hard skill to acquire in my mind. Gabe encouraged us to be honest and that what we put in is what we will get out. This is an invaluable skill that I may never have be challenged with if I had taken Design 200 with Gabe. I definitely enjoyed reading the book by McDonough more than Haskett, however I definitely see the value and importance of Haskett. For students just starting their journey in design, it is important to understand the history and concepts of design. My favorite part of the quarter was the Coleman for the Home project. It allowed us to work together and incorporate all of the information and skills that we built throughout the whole quarter. It enabled me to see how much I have grown as a "designer" and how much more there is for me to learn. I am excited to continue to venture down this path and unravel even more things that I have yet to learn. Although I am only pursuing a minor in design, I believe that the basic skills that design requires will enable me to be a more creative and successful person in whatever I pursue in my future. Thank you Gabe for an amazing quarter. You definitely have a unique way of teaching, but I think it may be more effective than most teaching methods and your passion for design is apparent which only encourages students further.

No comments:

Post a Comment